Thursday, August 24, 2006

4th Day on Ice





Despite the -22F ambient temp, it is warm & cozy in my dimly lit, plastic flower laden office with celtic music in the background (which reminds me of my other favorite place on Earth: Ireland!). I have only deployed to the Ice in October in previous seasons (with 24 hour sun), so to be here in August & see pitch darkness & pink sunsets is incredible. There are also only 300 folks on station so far, whereas there will be up to 1100 when all the mainbody flights get in in October. Like everyone has said, Winfly (August) season is magical - walking up the hill to work this morning & watching the wind blow waves of soft snow across the ground under a streetlamp surrounded by an inky black sky - there are no words...it probably isn't as stunning to someone from a cold climate, but I am from a place of perpetual blinding sunshine & oppressive triple digit heat for 5 months of the year. I hate hot muggy weather! I seem to thrive in this climate! I must've been a polar seal in a previous life...here are some more pix, including some of the amazing giant vehicles used on the Ice. Enjoy!

No comments: