Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Down Under Part Three


I am in Antarctica...it is cold, desolate, beautiful, dark, surreal, and most important: it feels like home. Do you think I'm kidding? Most people ask me how I can take the isolation & lonliness - these, of course, are people who've never been here...so I got news for you! It is cozy & homey & filled with closeness & caring people who are all here for a common purpose: to support science research blah de blah blah..I could say all kinds of official sounding things about the station but you can read all about that stuff anywhere. What I hope to reveal in this extended missive is the elusive underbelly of why this place is so magical to me... of why I feel "safe" here...and how it has met long, deeply "intergenerationally entrenched" unmet needs in the deepest part of my soul.

Wow! That sounds heavy doesn't it! This is a place that pulls you here...you are either drawn to the stark cold remoteness or you are not...and what you find what you get here your own self staring back at you with no defenses or barricades. But then, this could be only my personal experience!

I'll keep this initial post short..and here's a stunning photo of my plane arriving at the Ross Ice Shelf on August 22nd, 2006. More later!

No comments: