Monday, September 10, 2007

The Ice - "Season Four"

I'm on the Ice again - my fourth season...each season I have more trepidation than the last. So much is known, so many freedoms previously taken for granted off Ice now appear super delicious (ie: driving, reading in bed til 1:00am, nuggling with Fergus), but, even though I brace myself for 6 months of frozen regimentation, I also feel a huge sense of relief for that same reason. I don't have to make any decisions - I work hard, eat, sleep, watch movies & read books. It's easy. And hard. My first week of work was so physically demanding that I thought I would crack. I shoveled snow, lifted lumber, climbed in & out of loaders til my bones ached. But now, comfortably entering my fourth week, I enjoy the outdoor hard work mixed with some desk time each day. I really need to load some pictures. I work at the Carp Shop this year which is on a hill and has a stupendous view of the mountains during this season of glorious pink light & eternal sunsets. It's still too bloody cold to hike around much, but we are enjoying a much milder winfly than last year. Will & I have our giant room again until we move to our 'permanent' dorm, and this year we put in one of those industrial space heaters so the room is toasty.

I'm writing this bit a couple of weeks later...still no photos..warm enough to walk around without my coat while I'm working. This is the only place I've ever been that I love being outside all the time. If I ever wonder why the heck I came back here, the answer is always waiting when I walk down the hill after work: the sunset over the mountains - and the awe & gratitude I still feel being in this amazing place!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Marsha,

Wow, 4th year of Antarctica. That's amazing and truly awesome! This is precisely why I’m posting a comment.

If you see this...
* remember me
* see this in time
* respond to it in time
* And all other variables, etc....

I'll be traveling to Denver next week for the recruiting session. So the short of it, I'm looking for a letter of reference/recommendation of someone who's been there, in your case, multiple visits to, “The Ice”.

Check out my information at:
getoffyourduf.com
Look at the trainers and see if you remember me from the SBS Christmas Lunch a while back. (A long while back)

It's great to see you doing well. Hope to hear from you soon and maybe work with you and the rest of the uniquely qualified crew, in your 5th season.

Jim