Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tucumcari







Fascinating in its desolation and brimming with American detritus, Tucumcari (could it's sister city be Oodnadatta, South Australia?) is a visual feast for those who like the offbeat, but there's no need to spend more than one night in this derelict town. It's a ghost town with boarded up buildings, scraggly locals and nothing going on. It is devoid of bodies except for the odd stream of Route 66 fetishists passing through. The Blue Swallow provided spotless, comfy lodging with personable owners, and a communal vibe that contrasted sharply with the shady characters that pestered me when I tried to take a sunset walk. I ended up getting a wee bit scared when 3 locals on Harleys were following me down the sidewalk trying to engage me in conversation. And I am not usually scared of much. So much cool rehab potential in all these funky old buildings- someone with money could turn this into an artists' mecca - and beautiful murals painted on everything. Scored a 9 on the funky-meter, yet had a spooky, "opening shots of 'Andromeda Strain'" vibe...

2 comments:

Will said...

Wow!! after seeing those pictures, I'm surprised you aren't moving there. That's a Marsha type of place if I've ever seen one

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed meeting you at the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari. Sorry that you had a problem on your walk that evening. The locals I met have been great. With the bypass of Route 66 by I-40 and the closing of the train station, most of the business is now found at those interstate exits - sad.

I'm glad that Taos was an incredible experience (again)!