Monday, September 11, 2006

More Great Pix




Ola blog readers! I had a fairly uneventful week, but my boyfriend got to go out to Black Island to work on generators (& the T-Rex, which broke a track on the way out). A group of 11 traveresed across the Ice shelf to BI, which we can see here from McM. But what is great is seeing our station from across the ice. The bottom photo is a view of McMurdo from Black Island (in the top left). It's like a glittery metropolis as seen from a highway out in the county. Our station looks so cozy from out there, and IS cozy compared to the blustery harsh conditions Will & the traverse team had. They had heated buildings & good food, but harsh working conditions. I spent the week in my warm cubicle, taking long walks after work in near blizzard conditions...I have to admit, I find it exhilarating - while the extreme heat just flattens me, the extreme cold invigorates; and there's no way I'm going to stay indoors & miss sunsets like the one pictured, which lasted for what seemed like hours & was utterly fulfilling. The last time I watched sunsets like this were in Oaxaca, Mexico, so it is surreal indeed to be seeing them here too. These seem more special, probably because they are so short lived, and seem almost..three dimensional...soon we will have 24 sun, so I am going to go out & enjoy all of these clear days, no matter how cold it is.

p.s. the other photo is of Will in his beloved T-Rex, "Nodwell" tracked vehicle that weighs over 18,000 lbs.

No comments: