Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Stormy Weather...

I wish I could post the movie of me in this storm...it is very dramatic, but in the meantime, here is a pic after a short hobble in the windy snow-blowing weather known as "condition 2". If I weighed 8 pounds less I might blow over, and no one is allowed to drive around or work outdoors as they may get hit by flying debris. During condition 1, everyone must stay indoors, as it is way too dangerous to go out. Right now I can feel the wind wobbling the building I'm in, & I can get just a glimpse of what those early explorers had to deal with (while sitting at my comfortable new ergonomic work station, nibbling 3 year old beef jerky, feet drenched in sweat as I'm wearing insulated footwear in a 75F office.) Yesterday Will & I were interviewed by a film crew for a film they are making about McMurdans, which will air on the Sundance channel sometime next year. I felt so dreadfully dull hearing my overly wrought monologue-style answers that I've heard myself wax on about my Antarctic experience for the umpteenth time....but who knows, I may not end up on the editing floor as I fear... Will had more exciting stuff to talk about, so maybe if they don't axe him, you'll still be able to see me sitting next to him, semi-serious interviewee look on my face, with my really bad Antarctic hair. For some reason, my hair looks really bad down here - guess it 's the dryness combined with wearing a hat a lot (greasy on top, fried ends). Speaking of hair, we dyed Will's hair last night with a beat up box of Miss Clairol we found in skua. The box showed a platinum blonde shade, but his hair turned out a hue that could only be called "luminous pale strawberry"...so now my heavy equipment mechanic boyfriend has a better dye job than I have. For lack of activities around here, people are always doing creative things with their hair: reckless bleaching overlayed with clown-wig colors, mohawks, pictures shaved into temples, girls going bald, guys braiding hex nuts into their beards...there's been a breakout of that lately, probably in preparation for the S&M rave this Saturday. I probably won't be attending, but I'll post if I hear anything juicy.

Can't believe I've been here a month already. 1/6th done = yippee!

No comments: